Daisy and Jasper’s “Favorite Things”
It’s the howliday season – which means, your furry friend has been dreaming of that perfect gift that he/she wants! What? You didn’t know? You haven’t you heard him mumbling in his sleep or waking you up to remind you of what she wants this year? Certainly, they’ve already given you a list right? No? Oh no.
Well, luckily Jasper and Daisy have put together a list of their favorite things from this past year. We hope these will give you some ideas as you head out shopping for your furry friend.Daisy’s Favorite Things
Daisy doesn’t play much (she just started getting the hang of it this year), but she does have some favorite things! Many of them are food oriented. Did I mention she is a Lab with a bottomless pit for a stomach?
Jasper’s Favorite Things – Unlike Daisy, Jasper will pretty much play with anything. His favorite things mostly involve toys that squeak and tennis balls, but here are some of his favorites!
1. Hartz Hedgehog – People have often heard me refer to Daisy’s “woobie”. Daisy’s woobie is also known as the Hartz Hedgehog and she carries it around all of the time – when she’s nervous or excited or just wants something to hold onto. It’s a perfect fit for her Labrador mouth. My biggest issue is keeping it safe from the other dogs who love it as much as she does! It is by far her MOST favorite thing!
2. The Thundershirt – This one product has been a lifesaver for Daisy (and me!). Daisy is afraid of thunderstorms. She shakes and paces endlessly. But, once I put on the Thundershirt, Daisy becomes a calm dog. She often will go to her kennel and fall asleep! Now THAT is a great product.
>3. The Honest Kitchen: Force – I’ve tried different dogs food with both Daisy and Jasper, but by far she prefers The Honest Kitchen Force flavor. I’ve never seen a dog get so excited to eat! She jumps up and down with excitement when she knows her food is ready (I even caught her trying to steal Jasper’s portion from his dish!). What I like about The Honest Kitchen is it’s healthy – no preservatives, no additives, and filled with fruits and vegetables and chicken. Simply add water and voila!
4. Kong Wobbler – The Kong Wobbler is a great toy to keep dogs busy. It’s durable, easy to use and fun for dogs. Simply put your dog’s kibble or their favorite treat in the bottom of the Wobbler and watch your dog push it back and forth. It reminds me of the Weeble Wobble toys we had when I was a kid. It certainly keeps Daisy busy.
5. Zukes Dog Treats – Like most Labs, Daisy will eat almost anything, but she LOVES Zukes treats. I use them for my training sessions with Daisy, or I will put a few in her Kong Wobbler to keep her busy while I am away. Salmon is her favorite flavor, but chicken and peanut butter are close seconds. Daisy likes them because they smell good, I like them because they are healthy and made with natural ingredients.
1. Premier’s Kibble Nibble – By far, this has top be Jasper’s favorite. I put his kibble or treats in it and he will roll it all over the floor for a long time trying to get the treats out. Sometimes he even picks it up and drops it on the floor, hoping to knock a few out that way!
2. Premier’s Twist and Treat - A variation on the same theme as the Kibble Nibble. This one is a little more durable so both Daisy and Jasper will play with it. The top and bottom twist off and the treats go in the middle. Twist the two halves together and let your dog have a bit of fun pushing it around.
3. Kong Squeaky Balls – There’s really no mystery here. The balls area easy to catch and they squeak when a dog chews down on them. Jasper prefers these to all other tennis balls because he loves to squeak them over and over again (which is why all his Squeaker balls stay outside – I need my sanity!).
4. Crazy Critters - There is only one thing Jasper likes better than squeaky toys and that is tearing the stuffing out of a stuffed toy that squeaks. I just recently found these and I have to say they are the best! They have all the appeal of a stuffed toy without the stuffing and they have squeakers at both ends of the toy. We have both the Fox and the Raccoon and they are a hit with Jasper. One word of warning – I discovered that once I washed them, the squeakers stopped working, so if you want to keep the fun going I would avoid washing as long as possible.
5. Elk Antlers – To tell the truth, both Jasper and Daisy like this product, but since Jasper has a habit of stealing it from Daisy all of the time I decided to add it to his list. Elk Antlers are great for strong chewers, especially the dog who chews up the bones that everyone says will last a long time (has anyone met Daisy?). I have had one Elk Antler for almost 6 months now and Jasper still chews on it!
There is one last “favorite” to mention. It’s actually on my Favorite’s List and it’s a pet store. Here in Minnesota we have a lot of the usual chain pet food stores, but there is one store that, in my opinion, stands above all others. It’s called Chuck and Don’s Pet Food Outlet.
I like Chuck and Don’s for many reasons, but chief among them is there dedication to customer service. I don’t know what kind of training the Chuck and Don’s staff goes through, but they are by far the best at customer service. They welcome you, ask if they can help you, they will order something if they don’t have it in stock and they even offer to carry your dog food out to your car! I really can’t say enough good things about them. I actually called our Eagan store one time to ask them for a name of a pet toy I was planning to feature in my client newsletter and the lady was able to tell what it was called and who made it based on just a description over the phone! They are also active in supporting animal rescue organizations, pet adoptions other great organizations and events. That is why they are MY favorite thing.